Hiearchy of Controls
The Hiearchy of Controls is system deisigned to minimize or eliminate exposure to hazards. In industry the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has defined 5 levels of controls. These are in order of preference:
- Elimination – Is there some way to not have COVID be a risk in the workplace? Work from home? Web based sales?
- Substitution – In industry an example mey be to use a citrus based cleaner instead of a chemical based product.
- Engineering Controls – Can the method youd do work be redesigned? Adding barriers, altering customer interactions and other techniques.
- Adminstrative Controls – Policies or work schedules.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)